Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

blog reader solution ?

Like most of you I was disappointed when google reader announced it was to close as I have been very happy with this tool for reading all the blogs I follow.

After several weeks of denial I listed the things I want from a reader; read through some lists of alternatives, looked at examples and made the switch last week to the old reader

old reader

It works for my tops wants:

* I can read the full post in the reader

* I can group blogs into categories

* the pictures are clear and load easily

* it is intuitive to use

There is no app for use on a tablet (yet) but that is not a problem for me as I hadn’t got into the habit of using my tablet to read blogs.

Transferring my list of blogs from google reader was a breeze and took less than 5 minutes.

It’s been working well so far so I can return to a state of not thinking about the architecture behind my daily blog catch up.

10 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Thanks for the review. I think I might try it as well.
Rinda

alexa said...

Glad you have something which works well for you. I have gone over to Feedly which was a breeze to install and lets me do all of the things on your list as well as read and comment on my ipad - this was an important criteria for me. Are you relieved to have made a decision? I know I was!

Sian said...

I will admit to clinging onto google Reader while I can although I have moved everything to Bloglovin in preparation

Miriam said...

I am using bloglovin but there are a couple of things I at sea with. I will have a look at your suggestion, thanks Helena

Gail said...

Glad you found one you like. I like having one I can read on my iPad for when I'm away so I guess for now The Old Reader isn't for me. (:

Alison said...

Glad you've found something that suits you, Helena
Alison xx

Becky said...

Like Gail and Alexa I need to be able to read blogs on mi iPad , so it doesn't look as if this is the one for me! But thanks for sharing the info about it - at least I know that is one off the list to try!

Sandie said...

I am being an ostrich and trying not to think about what I will do when Google Reader is no more.
I guess I had better start taking action and I appreciate your thoughts on this. I don't have an ipad so perhaps The Old Reader may suit me for now. Thank you for sharing :)

Amy said...

I've settled on Feedly but have meant to have a look at The Old Reader as well ... though, it will have to be good because Feedly is a breeze to use.

Elizabeth said...

Im using Bloglovin but sure do miss the "next" button I used on Google Reader.