Pages

Monday, October 14, 2013

Hooked again

After a crochet marathon in August with my completed challenge of creating 35 squares for a charity blanket

crochet-squares

and making chains for Miriam’s chain picture challenge, I didn’t pick up my crochet hook last month.

But now I’m hooking again thanks to Miriam (again) and an unexpected online find.

Miriam is organising a Christmas decoration swap with the option of making the decoration that you send.  I’ve signed up (you can too if you haven’t already as the closing date is 1st November). I’ve been looking through my crochet magazines for ideas and am eager to start trying some out for the swap and myself

crochet-prep

I’ve also been creating strange shapes at the behest of Botanica Mathematica – who are collecting knitted and crocheted shapes created following mathematical rules that are found in botanical structures.  I suggest you read their website for a clearer description rather than me trying to explain it properly.  Anyway at the point when they posted some patterns I was into my crochet box for hook and wool and stopped trying to understand the mathematics.  I've created 2 shapes so far

crochet-fungus

and am making a bonsai tree. Creating these shapes are strangely addictive and I know they will not then be sitting around on my shelves as I’ll be giving them to the researchers – bonus!

And a totally different type of blogland loveliness – Patty let me know that she had used my city visit scavenger hunt on a recent trip to Florida and I really enjoyed seeing her items.

7 comments:

Jane said...

I'm joining in too and have my crochet hook out!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I love the look of all your colorful squares, Helena. And your pretty shapes are really fun!

Alison said...

Looks like fun, Helena.....I hope we get to see the bonsai tree!
Alison xx

Sian said...

I'd love to see the Bonsai tree too! I'm hoping to get a chance to make something for the decoration swap soon

alexa said...

Now I would never have connected crochet, maths snd research! The blue and frilled shape is most intriguing ... And your quilt squares are just splendid en masse like this - wow!

Miriam said...

Your quilt squares are wonderful Helena, don't they look just fabulous all together. Thanks so much for the swap mention and your unusual shapes are great but they made me laugh because that's how any piece of my crochet looks!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see the Bonsai tree when you've finished. Those shapes look really interesting.