Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Summing up July

this really was a month of 2 halves – 11 days of ‘normal’ and then the rest of the month full on as a volunteer for the Commonwealth Games

In the early part of the month I

* posted 6 postcards for Sian’s postcard pile swap (and I know that 1 of them arrived).  I received 5 fabulous postcards and sent a card to 4 of them (the 5th had no contact details)

july-numbers-1

* watched all 13 episodes in series 1 of Orange is the New Black, watching 2 a night most nights as I was drawn into the stories and enjoyed the range of characters and excellent acting

* spent 1 day in Dundee to celebrate my nephew’s graduation after 4 years at University

july-numbers-2

* crocheted 7 blanket squares and 12 pocket bears

july-numbers-3

And then I took my first of 34  train journeys between home and  Glasgow and the Commonwealth Games village and got to know 6 train stations for the various routes. 

july-numbers-4

In the village I worked with the 61 athletes and support staff who make up Team Samoa in their 6 houses. I’ll share more about my experience later this month when I’ve finished and had a rest.

july-numbers-6

I was a spectator 5 times for 8 sports (rugby 7s, weightlifting, discus, long jump, hurdles, wheelchair racing, running, road cycle race)

july-numbers-5

I also joined over 700 000 people in over 2 000 cinemas around the world to watch 5 retiring comedians in their last show (the live streaming of the final Monty Python show) and laughed lots.

I was so pleased to be able to access my kindle library on my tablet during all those train journeys and read 6 books ranging from Vikings in Scotland to police tracking down murderers in Aberdeen to a women saving orphans in 1940s Burma.

Thanks to Julie for the fabulous meme Month in Numbers which encourages us to look back over the month wearing abacus glasses

9 comments:

Julie Kirk said...

This way of documenting the details has worked so well with your games experiences. It really gives a clear picture of the comings, goings and doings! [It was obviously your 'abacus glasses' doing their job! Love it!]

The pocket bears are sweet - are they just little totems for people to carry?

Your July is pinned to the Month in Numbers board with those from all the other numerical list-makers now: http://pinterest.com/notesonpaper/my-month-in-numbers/

Here's to a happy-August ... and a rest for you after all that volunteering Helena!!

Julie :-)

Sian said...

I'm glad your postcards have been arriving :)

We were watching the closing ceremony last night and wondering if we might be able to spot you in the crowd. What an amazing experience it must have been. But I bet you are ready for a rest in August

Sian said...

I'm back because just this minute your postcard has arrived from the Games Village...VERY exciting! Thank you so much. Can't believe I have such a cool Games souvenir now..

Miriam said...

What a wonderful month for you Helena, and a brilliant set of numbers. A rest sounds just the ticket! I was looking out for you in the closing ceremony too.

Sandie said...

That will be a month to remember, Miriam. You have been busy!

Barbara said...

You certainly had a busy month and one that you will never forget. I will look forward to hearing about the Games. Enjoy your rest!

Melissa said...

What a great look at your month - sounds like it was a FUN busy month!

Prairie Jill said...

Wow! What a busy month. I love the little pocket bears. But 34 train journeys? Oh my! It must have been an amazing experience, though.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a month to remember. Love that "abacus glasses" comment - it gave me a nice chuckle this morning.