Pages

Monday, February 29, 2016

Memorandum Monday making an old lady smile

A big wave to Sian fellow Monday wavers on this extra day of the year.

Plenty of time on my crochet projects again this weekend - having ordered some yarn for a new project I decided that I should finish some of my current projects before starting a new one. Or at least get them to a sensible pause point.  I sewed in lots of ends on my big project and it is now in a box waiting for my sister to finish her half.  More sewing in ends and sewing parts together to create clusters of forget-me-nots for Miriam's Dementia Awareness project she posted about here.

This was the project that I featured for my 6 words story 10 days ago.

What about the smiling lady I mentioned in the title?  Crochet again - at my new knitting and crochet group.  We meet in a lovely cafe which is popular with students (LoveCrumbs for those who know Edinburgh).  10 of us sit around a large round table with piles of yarn in between our cups and empty plates (I must take a photo!). 

We were chatting and making when a lady came up to us and said 'you have made my mother very happy'.  This lady and her mother were in town to visit their daughter / grand daughter who is a student in Edinburgh.  The grandmother lives in Canada but grew up in Iran.  She was delighted to see people knitting and crocheting and loved that there was a mix of ages making things together.  She said that when she was young, in Iran, she saw the ladies sitting together making things but never sees it now.  Her daughter said that she had been smiling since she sat down and noticed our group and that this was her favourite sight in Edinburgh and she posed for a photo with us.  Our 2nd tourist photo in 3 weeks !

Hoping you all have a great week and welcome to March and spring.



11 comments:

Maggie said...

It is wonderful to see the power of blogging that you have been able to join in a project with Miriam at virtually the other end of the country. I also like your story of all becoming a bit of a tourist attraction! Sounds like a really good group.

debs14 said...

Sounds like a lovely group of crafty ladies - how lucky you are to have found them to spend a few hours with people who share your interests in such a social location.

Jane said...

I've been crocheting some forget-me-nots but they don't look as good as yours.

Sian said...

Your forget me knots are just beautiful. I hear you on the ends: why do some people say "weaving in the ends"? That makes it sound too easy. Threading every one into a darning needle and making it secure sounds a lot worse! I love the sound of your Edinburgh group: what a great find.

Have a great week Helena

Patio Postcards said...

The crocheted Forget Me Knots are so real like - wonderfully beautiful. I like your story about all the ladies sitting around the coffee/tea table crafting & that a visitor found this charming. I agree some of the best groups I participate in are those that have a mixture of age - it brings such a range of experience, knowledge & wisdom. For me that type of group is found at the barn where I ride & a ladies group at the community centre.

Alison said...

Love your Forget Me Nots...and that you have found such a fun and social group! Xx

Cheri said...

Your forget-me-nots are gorgeous! And your group in Edinburgh sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to our visit to London & Edinburgh this summer - trying to build my stamina up so I can hike up the Royal Mile!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Cute project - and what a delightful story - generations and nationalities - all brought together and happily sharing. We could use you as a peace ambassador.

Lady Ella said...

Those are great. I must see if I can figure out how to make some too. I think I saw it chez Miriam.

Miriam said...

The forget me nots are even more beautiful in my hand! Thank you Helena. What a beautiful story and I'm glad you have found a new knit & natter group to join. Fancy me being on first name terms with a Scottish City Tourist Attraction!

Susanne said...

Lovely work - I applaud your patience and nimble fingers.