Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Snap at the museum

The big museum has just opened 10 more refurbished galleries and one of them features clothes so I had to go along to look - clothes are a favourite of mine in museums.  Here is a small taster


I loved the purple jacket - for its shape and colour but also that it was dyed with the original synthetic purple dye - the museum staff examined the chemical makeup of all their purple garments from the relevant time to find one with the correct chemical signature.  Before the discovery of the synthetic purple it was a very expensive dye - it was discovered by a chemist searching for a cure for malaria.

I liked that they have some male fashion as well as female and I was drawn to this modern piece playing with fabrics

The exhibition had a good mix of old and more recent.  I was intrigued by a section showing the undergarments that were worn in the past to create different shapes - such as the bustle

There are fabulous displays of jewellery, shoes and hats - this creation looked stunning although I think it would be hard to wear for more than a few minutes

Looking forward to seeing what has caught your eye this week

10 comments:

Eileen T said...

Is this a permanent exhibit? I love seeing what people used to wear and have been a regular visitor to the Bath costume museum over the years.

Maggie said...

I too enjoy visits to Bath museum of costume. Garments such as that bustle make you realise how lucky we are. Our freedom in our clothing these days reflects the freedom we have as women.

Ruth said...

I love that hat ... perfect for Royal Ascot!

Patio Postcards said...

Interesting SNAP & the accompanying details about the clothes, very interesting about the dye for purple ... trying to find a cure for malaria & we get a great colour dye, NOW that is interesting. I know there have been other discoveries like that. I like clothes, I loathe clothes ........ I will say no more.

Karen said...

Fascinating! I've always enjoyed exhibits like this and you've chosen such interesting examples. I can't imagine trying to wear a hat like that!

Sian said...

Oh, this is wonderful! These are the new exhibitions I was reading about last week. Brilliant.

Cheri said...

Imagine walking about with a wire cage strapped to your waist? How did they sit in those things???

Anonymous said...

looks like a fascinating exhibit!

alexa said...

Very elegant grouping - and I'd love to wear that jacket top right. Looks as if it's worth more than one visit ...

Miriam said...

The hat for me please! This is a wonderful set for snap. I do love to look at clothing from the past, it was something I was interested in at school. Never did anything with it though!